They say knowledge is power, and that’s certainly true when discussing your air conditioner. While complicated repairs are best left to specialists, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve ordinary AC issues.
Knowing how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will enable you to tackle easy problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you money on minor service calls, but understanding when to call a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into major repairs.
Your Air conditioner is an essential element of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified specialist for air conditioning repair in Temple/Belton if you're not sure about any aspect of your air conditioner's operation or maintenance.
Here are several common questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is a smart way to make sure it runs efficiently, and potentially could extend the life of your unit.
The most significant step you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter captures dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those particulates from the air circulating in your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it is supposed to in order to move air through the filter. A clean filter removes the airborne debris while still enabling air to flow efficiently through the system.
Replacement filters are sold at most major home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be bought from your local HVAC professional. A good way to make sure you get the correct filter is to look at your old one before you go shopping, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a good idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are hoping to buy something similar.
For detailed service of your air conditioner, contact the skilled professionals like the crew at Bell Air Conditioning Inc to do routine maintenance on your unit. They’ll inspect your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential problems.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making certain that your indoor air conditioning unit is operating efficiently, it’s necessary to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outside unit of your cooling system is an easy way to increase its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which include extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the outside air. This lowers the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can soak up more heat from the air in your home's interior. Washing the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut down power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip the power switch off, instead of turning the thermostat off.
2) Remove the top of the outdoor AC so you can reach the insides of the unit. Then, taking care not to stress any cords or attachments, safely set the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, starting at the top and then working your way down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as in the form of foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most cleaners, it's suggested that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a short period of time to dissolve the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Take care not to spray too hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the components to dry before turning the power back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner depends on the type of unit, its quality, how well it's maintained and how often it's used. That said, pros say you should start thinking about air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to make the most of your air conditioner is through regularly scheduled conditioner maintenance. Routine checkups from Bell Air Conditioning Inc features cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and fixing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating a long time, call us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Temple/Belton .
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Finding the proper size of air conditioner for your home is vital for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some elements to consider when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The amount of space you need to cool is one of the most important factors. Larger spaces require more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes hold cool air better, which should reduce your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll want a more powerful air conditioner compared to a homeowner living in a cooler environment.
- Number of windows: Windows often let in heat, particularly when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of people: More people in the house create greater body heat, which may influence your cooling needs.
- Current HVAC system: The size and capability of your current system can provide a jumping off point for identifying what you need.
Given that the size of your cooling system is so important to your home’s comfort, you will definitely want a professional opinion. At Bell Air Conditioning Inc, we take the time to fully understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s design and size. This attention to detail and commitment to customer service is why Bell Air Conditioning Inc is known for superb air conditioning installation in Temple/Belton .
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices differ depending on the kind of the unit and your home’s unique requirements, a new air conditioner generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good thing is that new air conditioners are developed to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs as well as federal regulations that can impact the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can fluctuate. It's always smart to get several quotes from trusted HVAC companies before making a purchase. If you’re thinking about air conditioning replacement in Temple/Belton , contact Bell Air Conditioning Inc. We can provide you with a complimentary estimate, explain the procedure and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
An AC freezing up can be due to a variety of factors, all of which boil down to the failure of your system to efficiently transfer heat. If your air conditioner is experiencing issues causing it to freeze up, it is most likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some typical triggers for AC freezing up:
- Insufficient airflow: If the air isn't flowing correctly through your AC system, it can't properly absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, something stopping air from flowing through the return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is getting low on refrigerant, it may become too cold and freeze up. This is usually because of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Frosty outdoor temperatures: Operating your air conditioner when it's too cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Many units aren't designed to function in temperatures lower than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Broken thermostats, damaged blower motors and problems with the relay or control board can all result in an AC unit freezing up.
Bell Air Conditioning Inc is the Trustworthy Source for Air Conditioning Service in Temple/Belton .
At Bell Air Conditioning Inc, we will make your home a comfortable and enjoyable place. Our experienced technicians are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are knowledgeable on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the first choice for air conditioning repair in Temple/Belton and neighboring cities.
If you’re planning to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our top-notch air conditioning installation in Temple/Belton . No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact Bell Air Conditioning Inc today at 254-307-9572 to schedule an appointment or free estimate!