Spring is in the air here in Belton and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Bell Air Conditioning Inc. team has some tips that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your fabulous vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Bell Air Conditioning Inc. in Belton a call at 254-307-9572.