Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being created. However, there is no need to worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is operating properly, it is harmlessly deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely moved through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart issues, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to know carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by specialists, you should have it looked at. The experts at Bell Air Conditioning Inc can make sure your blower motor is installed accurately and that they don’t see any flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, our professionals will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally checked as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A backup of airflow caused by a dirty filter can cause carbon monoxide to leak out of your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
5. Always rely on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the professionals at Bell Air Conditioning Inc in Temple/Belton around to help, too. Give us a call at 254-307-9572 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.